Sunday 28 September 2008

The Pussycat Dolls Teach English (?)

And why not learn English from the Pussycat Dolls? Heck, why not?

Some lyrics - even bad ones by the Pussycat Dolls - can provide a useful focus for discussion, but more importantly they can provide excellent examples of the way words undergo interesting transformations when they get run together in vocal English
The Pussycat Dolls - you may remember - gave us a great example of how the phrase "Don't you ..." becomes "Doancha ..." as in "Doancha wish yuh girlfriend woz hot like me."

This fun teaching aid can be found HERE.

As for the lyrics, one question I would ask is: Does the first verse make sense?
I know you like me (I know you like me)
I know you do (I know you do)
Thats why whenever I come around she's all over you
And I know you want it (I know you want it)
It's easy to see (it's easy to see)
And in the back of your mind

I know you should be home with me
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me
Dont cha, dont cha
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was raw like me
Dont cha wish your girlfriend was fun like me
Dont cha, dont cha
Footnote: To some students, the phrase "she's all over you" may be a new one, and there is an interesting contrast here with the phrase "It's all over" (not in the song).

Thinking of ways to supplement this (coz there's not a helluvalot to be said about this particular song)? How about Britney Spears's "Gimme More"? This is a perfect example of how "give me" becomes "gimme", and for students who can't get to grips with this at the first hearing Britney repeats it one or two (or 30) more times. (A snippet of the song would suffice.)

No comments: